CDL License Endorsements

Back to Trucking FAQ

Truck drivers often must obtain certain specific endorsements to be able to drive certain vehicles.  These endorsements allow drivers to operate various vehicles that have different features and/or equipment. 

Some of the more common endorsements that you may need to get include:

  • T - Double/Triple Trailers (Knowledge Test only)
  • P - Passenger (Knowledge and Skills Tests) 
  • N - Tank Vehicle (Knowledge Test only)
  • H - Hazardous Materials (Knowledge Test only)
  • X - Combination of Tank Vehicle and Hazardous Materials

Endorsements are obtained usually by passing a written test. A hazmat endorsement also requires drivers to pass a background screening.  It is a good idea to get these basic endorsements up front, and you will have more jobs available to you after you graduate.

Featured Schools